Monday, December 29, 2008

Gaza Strip vs. Portland

I've got a lot of thoughts and opinions on the ever-going Israel-Palestine situation/conflict/problem, but I prefer not to comment publicly on it; there's a lot of people out there with a lot more knowledge of the situation who are a lot more invested/involved/immersed in it than I will ever be. Why should some Joe with no stake in it start professing like he knows something or has a solution? Then again, I guess that's what the Internet's for, but I digress.

Anyway, with the conflict in the news for the past few days, I decided to open Google Earth and go visit the Gaza Strip. It's tiny. I figured it was pretty small, but I had no idea. Sometimes it's good to put far reaches of the world in local perspective, because it provides us with a scale that we can use when we are reading or learning about stories from a particular part of the world. On that note, here's some comparisons:

The city of Portland covers 145 square miles, with 134 of them being on land as opposed to water. The entirety of the Gaza Strip is 139 square miles. Portland's population is about 576,000. The Gaza Strip has a population of 1.48 million people.

Thanks, Wikipedia.

No comments: